Thursday, February 20, 2014

This girl's tongue is a Fire

 So I never intended this blog to be a place for me to vent my confessions but here goes another one.

For those of you who know me, you know I have a big mouth and am a fighter for injustice. Today I was reflecting on James 3. 




JAMES Chapter 3 Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things.
See how great a forest a little fire kindles! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men.

Then later today, I got into a little bit of an issue with my big mouth and sensitive heart and I wrongly accused someone of something. My first instance was to confront this person on Facebook because I thought they were shooting at me with a remark they made on their wall.

I thought I used my better judgement but simply just sending a strong email. I read it twice to make sure the shrew in me did not come out. But of course, it did. And here I was patting myself on the back for not starting a cat fight on Facebook. 

Then the awkward moment you realize you were being an idiot and got it all WRONG. Man, I just read James 3 THIS MORNING. Harsh lesson learned. Thank you Lord.

When the person responded, I realized that I got it all wrong. It just so happened that three minutes after I posted a picture, this person also posted a statement on their wall and I assumed that it was targeted toward me.

My husband's response was "CHICS". And really, this happens so much when I deal with other females. Why do we as females take offense so easily? 

I remember a retreat I went to where the speaker said, we need to grow thicker skin like bark and be strong. We need to empower one another and if we all grow thicker bark and become strong trees, we become a forest and great things happen.

Tonight I realize I must grow thicker bark and not jump to conclusions. I also need to reflect on why I thought such statements were targeted toward me and why I was offended. So while I think some more and really get to the root of my stupidity and pray to be more grounded in the WORD as I write an apology email, remember that words and our tongues need constant taming. 

Until next time.
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment