Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A not so 31 Wife Confession

Hi friends
So today, I am being called to confess my sin; first, to humble myself and second to send a message so you learn from my mistakes. I know this is early in the blog to be this real but what did you expect from a blog that has a biblical reference in it's name?


James 5:16
New International Version (NIV)
16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.


Friends, I have a covetousness problem. You can see it in the introduction part of my blog where I say "Obsessed with milk glass, succulents and cool things vintage."


Luke 12:15

New King James Version (NKJV)And He said to them, “Take heed and beware of covetousness,for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.”

And living in that kind of sin is not glorifying God or being a good 31 wife. It has caused turmoil in my marriage. I turned to material things and hoarding, shopping, thrifting, to try and escape the pain I feel inside. And the sad part is, I did not even realize how out of control it all was. Until now.  

There is a parable in in Matthew 25:14-28 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew%2025:14-28&version=NIV) about a Master and 3 servants. In the end the 2 servants who were faithful with what the master gave him were rewarded. The servant who was not faithful was not rewarded and what the Master gave him was taken away and given to a faithful servant. 

I have been an unfaithful servant. I was not prudent with our money. I have been blessed with a husband who earns enough money to sustain our family and meet all our needs and then some. I took the money and filled every single nook and cranny of this house as I remained unfulfilled and empty. I was not living beyond our means but I was spending our money on stuff, things I did not need. I was buying things excessively and not even using things. This in turn caused frustration within my husband. The stuff caused clutter and makes my home difficult to keep tidy. After a long day of work my husband was coming home to a cluttered house because the stuff was just laying all around the house.  I blamed the arrival of a second child and inability to get into a new routine. The second child is 8 months and I still could not get my act together. Instead, I just kept getting more stuff.

My sin plus some other things that I am not willing to share in blogland have made our marriage and our family life fall out of control. Although this was not the root of our issues, it is the fruit of much larger issues we are working through. 

But because of GOD's grace and mercy, there is redemption. As you all know we are selling our house. It has sold. We are moving into a 2 bedroom apartment. From my home tour you know that I have a four bedroom (plus a shed and a 2.5 car garage) full of stuff from the floor to the ceiling. To move to our apartment, that means the stuff has to go.

So this past week, I have been purging. I posted my stuff on Instagram and have had friends and family come and buy my stuff. I have seen my stuff that I love go out the door. But God is so good that my heart is rejoicing in it because I get to see my stuff bless people I know. I still have the garage, the shed, and the Christmas stuff, the kids toys, clothing, and much more to purge before we move. 

The 2 bedroom apartment is my chance at redemption. I get to prove that I can be a faithful servant. And I know that when I am a faithful servant, that God will reward me. 

This 2 bedroom apartment although humble will be where my marriage will be restored, renewed and refreshed through the Lord. Because he can breathe life into dry bones. 

Now before you all go out and cry about my two bedroom apartment move, the place is not bad at all. They are luxury apartments (apartment tour post to come). Totally remodeled and complete with stainless steel appliances and washer dryer. But it is a swank place where hubby and I can park our family and get back to basics.

So with that my friends, I leave you this verse:
Matthew 6:19-21
Treasures in Heaven
New International Version (NIV)
19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.


Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment