Monday, October 7, 2013

Planning your next move

So, when I used to work, I was an Auditor. As an auditor, one of the first steps you take before you even audit is planning the engagement. The better you planned the engagement, the smoother it went. Moving can be looked at as a project. Since I am the house wife, I am the "Moving Manager". In sticking to my core competencies, I decided to "plan" my move.

The first thing I did was purge, purge, purge, and purge some more. It took me about 2 weeks to really do a good one.

Then I created a master box spread sheet. I thought of the areas of my home and identified 9 areas. I assigned each area a color and a reference number. I used a three digit reference series in case certain areas reached more than ten boxes. In this example, my kitchen is assigned the orange color and the 200 series. Then, the first box is box 201. My spreadsheet also has the contents of the box. This will make finding my junk  belongings easier. The last time we moved, it took forever to find things, this time around I want to be able to find what I need.

It took me a bit of playing around but pure genius struck me one day. I was deciding how to make labels for my moving boxes and at first I was printing full page sheets with the name of the area and box number. Then I remember that I am a fan of free printables.

I remember using http://www.ontobaby.com/free-printables/chevron-zig-zag-stripe-baby-shower-free-printable/ several times for, get this, CHEVRON print labels. You can customize colors and once printed it has room to write box numbers. Below is an example of the Office labels I created:

How perfect is that? And it goes with my whole notion of not reinventing the wheel. Once you cut these out, there is room on the label to write a box reference number. Now you will have cute moving labels that are color coordinated for a super organized move.

Until next time friends,
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment